Scandinavian-style dutch oven pot roast

I wanted to pay homage to my Swedish roots by trying out this Scandinavian style pot roast for myself. My father's side of the family has a good bit of Swedish in them, and it is something I feel proud of. I've always felt strongly about my heritage, ethnic background, and all the traditions that come along with that. I hope to pass down some of this pride to my own daughters as well.
   
     I was cautiously optimistic about how it would turn out, but let me tell you this pot roast is SO good. The roast melts in your mouth, and the dried fruit and citrus flavor mixed with the cinnamon gives it such a unique flavor. My house smelt wonderful while it was cooking, too. I will most definitely be making this again. I urge you to try it for yourself!


What you will need: 

  • 2.5lb chuck roast 
  • Dried fruit 
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 1/2 cup orange juice 
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons of flour
  • 1.5 teaspoons of salt 
  • 1/2 teaspoon of pepper 
  • Olive oil 

1. Mix your dry ingredients of flour, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl
2. Rub the dry ingredients into both sides of your roast
3. Brown both sides of your roast in a skillet with olive oil over medium heat 
4. Add your water and cinnamon sticks to your dutch oven
5. Cut up your dried fruit. I chose to go with apricots
6. Set your oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit
7. Once your roast is browned on both sides, add it to your dutch oven
8. Top your roast with your dried fruit 
9. Place the lid on your dutch oven, and put it in the oven for 1.5 hours 
10. After the time is up, pour 1/2 cup of orange juice over the roast, put the lid back on, and place it back in the oven for 10 more minutes 
11. After 10 minutes is up, take your roast out. Roast should be cooked through and tender at this time 
12. Serve with your choice of sides, I chose fresh green beans and a cauliflower mash. I hope you love it as much as I did! 

Comments

Popular Posts