Tuna casserole

Tuna casserole is one of those dishes I never imagined making for my family, but that all changed after I spoke to my grandmother on the phone the other week. She was telling me old stories from when she was younger, and one of them was about her mother making tuna casserole. I decided I wanted to honor that memory and try it out for myself.
The dish doesn’t exactly sound amazing, but trust me, it is good! The dinner table was silent tonight as my kids stopped complaining, fighting, or even speaking to shove their sweet little faces full of this casserole. My husband and I were amazed.

What you will need:
For the casserole:
• 1 box of elbow macaroni noodles
• 3 5oz cans of tuna
• 1 can of Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup
• 1/2 yellow onion
• 3/4 cup sweet peas
• 1 cup of milk
• 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

For the topping:
• 1 cup bread crumbs
• 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
• 1 tbsp melted butter

1. Boil water for your macaroni noodles *boil the noodles for 2 minutes less than the box suggests. I boiled mine for 8 minutes.

2. Dice up 1/2 a yellow onion

3. Cook the onions and sweet peas in a skillet over medium heat until soft 

4. Drain all of the liquid from your cans of tuna and empty them into a medium sized bowl 

5. Mix your cream of mushroom soup, cheddar cheese, milk, and skillet mixture of peas and onion with the tuna in the bowl 

6. Drain your macaroni noodles once they are finished and pour the tuna mixture into the pot of macaroni


7. Pour the macaroni mixture into a greased 9x11 baking dish 

8. In a separate bowl, mix together your bread crumbs, cheese, and melted butter 

9. Shake the bread crumb topping over top of the macaroni mixture in your baking dish 



10. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes 

11. Serve and enjoy! 


Comments

Popular Posts